Sunday, August 16, 2009

Welcome to the world of Jordan. And to blogging.

Blogging. I've never really gotten into it. I've done it, of course, in several classes and as part of my job. But I've never really thought about it as a necessity for trips or to keep my friends and family updated.

Apparently I'm behind the times. As more and more people clamored for details about my seemingly mundane life, I thought, "why not." I'll get to design a cool title bar in Photoshop if nothing else. Plus, hey, maybe someone, somewhere will actually be entertained. Peachy.

So. Amman, Jordan. I will be living here for a year to teach English at the Ahliyyah School for Girls. I will be the support teacher for 5th grade. I've never taught English before besides occasionally correcting my friends' grammar. They LOVE that!

I was offered this position in kind of a roundabout way. My friend Heather (insert shameless promotion of her blog here) is interested in Arabic and Middle Eastern cultures. I told her I have a cousin living close to Amman and gave her Melissa (my cousin)'s email address. Before I knew it Melissa had gotten Heather an interview with the directors of the school. I got to thinking about it. Journalism jobs are pretty slim on the ground in the U.S. right now, so why not go abroad and see some more sights while I have the time? I, too, used my influential family connections to get an interview at the school as well.

Needless to say, Heather and I both passed our interviews with flying colors because, well, we speak English. Oh, yeah, and we both have bachelors degrees. And we're fabulous people. Heather found us a furnished apartment with a girl from Denmark named Nadia in the northwest part of Amman.

Now here I am, the girl who loves greenery and water, living for a year in the middle of the desert. Ah well. I AM from Texas. Feels kind of like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment